First of all, welcome to Mrs. Kirkman's AP Literature and Composition class. Throughout the year we will embark on a journey through non-fiction, speeches, novels, articles, and blogs. This website is where you will find vital information pertaining to class schedules, due dates, assignments, novels/books, and AP testing information. Below you will find the information for your textbooks, summer reading program, and summer school. Please read all of it carefully and feel free to ask questions if you have them. I suggest that you follow the page so that you get e-mails when updates are made to the page, especially since I will be adding items throughout the summer.
Textbooks - DO NOT BUY THEM FROM THE SENIORS - They are different books this upcoming school year. You must have the textbooks in class by Monday, August 5, 2013.
- The Bedford Introduction to Literature: Reading, Thinking, Writing 10th edition
- ISBN - 978-1457608278
- Here is a link to the actual book on Amazon.com so that you can see what it looks like. This does not mean that you have to purchase the book from here. THIS IS THE ONLY EDITION YOU CAN USE.
- Wordly Wise 3000 Book 12 3rd edition
- ISBN - 978-0838876121
- Here is a link to the actual book on Amazon.com so that you can see what it looks like. THIS IS THE ONLY EDITION YOU CAN USE.
- The titles for the required novels will be handed out on the first day of class along with the syllabus.
Supply List - please have these supplies with you for the first day of class
- Notebook with LOTS of paper or a Binder with LOTS of loose leaf paper
- Black/Blue ink pens (several)
- Pencils (several)
- Highlighter (2-3 different colors)
- Color Pencils or Crayons
Summer Reading Program
- Here you will find the specifications for the summer reading program. You are required to read both books for the English class and complete two projects, one for each book.
- For more information on the books, including author background, historical context, themes, and general information please click on the underlined tabs on the left hand side of the page. This information will be included on the test.
- The presentations will be presented on Friday, August 2, 2013. They are each worth 30 points, for a total of 60 points.
- There will then be a test on the books on Monday, August 5, 2013.
- Classes will begin on Thursday, August 1, 2013. This is mandatory. If you are unable to make it to class those two and a half weeks then you will be unable to take the AP class. During this time we will cover the summer reading books and the first unit of the textbook along with taking two tests. This is a lot of information to cover and I do not go at a slow pace.
- AP Calculus - 9-11 AM
- AP Literature - 11:30-12:30 PM
- AP Statistics - 1-3 PM
General Class Information
This is where you will find useful information about class assignments:
- Dead Words
- Independent Reading - Quarter II
- Reading | Independent Reading - Quarter III
- Instructions | Forum Instructions
- For more information on the UC Personal Statements check out this site.
- For more information on the Common Application check out this site.